Lippelman advocates creating a customer culture that utilizes highly targeted marketing efforts, which he refers to as "One to some instead of one of ton." In fact, 70% of what they do is targeted. And the key to Bass Pro Shops' sales success can be summed up by the following five guiding principles:
1. Change the conversation from "Are sales up or down?" to "Are sales up or down with our best customers?"
2. Leverage data beyond segmentation. (While their customer base info is proprietary, Lippelman did reveal that they segment customers first based on behavior, then on interests, and then finally based on demographics.)
3. Treat your best customers better. (Bass' Stealth Program rewards the top 10% of their customer base with special rewards and opportunities.)
4. Inspire passion and create handshakes. (Bass Pro Shops places a special emphasis on special in-store events, all of which are free to any who want to attend, such as an old-fashioned Santa's Wonderland and Summer Family Camp.)
5. Be uncommon -- Go beyond the expected.